On any bin day and the night before the streets are strewn with rubbish – rotting potato peelings, decaying chicken carcasses, crispy condoms, festering sanitary towels, stinky nappies and all manner of detritus which covers the roads and pavements forcing pedestrians to take evasive action or risk soiling their shoes/wheels on last weeks leftovers. So whose fault is it?

• The gulls, rats, cats or foxes? No, they are just taking advantage of this natural bounty.
  • The Bin Men, surely they could sweep up after themselves? No, these guys have a crappy enough job as it is.
  • The Council?, they should provide wheely bins - Oh yeah and watch your Council tax rise to pay for it and what did we do before black bin liners?
  • You? Yes you, all you people who do not have respect for your environment or your fellow man. Is it too much to ask that you buy a dustbin? (RKL Tools £9.99) if you can’t afford that then use an old sheet of some sort. But don’t put bleach or similar on your rubbish as a deterrent –Think! Somebody has to handle your garbage and doesn’t want to be covered in Domestos.

So in closing I would say to all those who do not take the necessary precautions to make their bins pest proof - Do something about it!

What do you think? Make a comment below.

See more awful pictures like these at bridportradio.co.uk/bridport-rubbish-problem

Comments

#1 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEJagl 19-06-2006 20:22
I suggest that the Bridport Radio Mayor could advertise for a sniper who could lay in wait in the bell tower of the town hall every bin day morning. He could snipe anyone who puts a black bin bag out. That'd teach 'em!! SNipe eM aLL, ThaTs whAt I saY, sniPe the SodS, They wOn't dO it agAin in a hUrrY !!!! Hah Hemmm, ... Getting back to the main point, there seems to be a serious lack of snipers in bell towers these days. What's the Bridport Radio Mayor doing about it, that's what I want to know?

#2 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEBigdoubleya 19-06-2006 21:51
The problem seems to be worse where the rubbish isn't outside of anyone's house. Where the WDS trucks don't go, nor will the refuse collectors. Why? I'm not saying it's their fault, but it wasn't always so. In these circumstances I think the dustmen could report the mess if they won't pick it up. If you see rubbish on the street way ahead of it's collection time, report it, it's fly tipping.

#3 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEJagl 19-06-2006 22:58
Funny that, I was at the Chris Difford gig on Saturday and he was saying what a lovely town Bridport seemed, I guess if he'd turned up on South street at c6PM tonight as I did he might have wondered who the hell these people were that cared so little about the state of their street. It's amazing the stuff you see, I saw a still completely wrapped iceberg lettuce tonight, seemed to be perfect, except for the fact it had been in someone's bin and I'm not sure my family are ready to go Freegan yet....

#4 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEWaldorf and Stadtler 20-06-2006 16:47
If you (like me) are unhappy with these streets of shame please send your comments to custservices@westdorset-dc.gov.uk , phone 01305 251010, or visit www.dorsetforyou.com . Bring back local hero Pete the Sweep!

#5 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEJagl 20-06-2006 17:36

#6 RE: ...AND ANOTHER THINGtinymind 22-06-2006 08:37

#7 RE: ...AND ANOTHER THINGThe Bat 23-06-2006 16:55
I was buying fathers day cards in Whsmiths last friday when i was handed a free set of england car flags - the problem? my dad happens to be welsh!! What ever happened to the complementry Toblerone??? What free fathers day gifts do they offer in Scotland Wales and N.Ireland??

#8 RE: CULL THE GULL?Vocal Local 28-06-2006 09:47
You know the answer is wheeled bins. It's true that wheeled bin collections cost more than black bag ones but the difference is not so enormous (maybe 30%) and the savings in cleaning up the present and increasing seagull mess would go some way to offsetting it. The main expense is obviously at the start and once the scheme is up and running, Authorities never go back to the antideluvian black bags and nor do the Residents even ask for it. I'm sure the District council will have already done the sums so know the answer anyway. Their problem is though that they (we) have to meet EC mandated and Government implemented recycling targets and on this alter EVERYTHING is sacrificed. Public Toilets are not being axed for hospitals and schools but to provide more money for the ever increasing recycling bill. Wheeled bins, even at little extra cost are regrettably not on the agenda for this reason.

#9 RE: ...AND ANOTHER THINGVocal Local 30-06-2006 08:06
Why do retired people, who have got all the time in the world, go shopping when I take my lunch hour and I'm in a hurry?

#10 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEd0g 09-08-2006 17:45

#11 RE: AT THE POLLSThe Bat 09-08-2006 22:57
""""Who are the worst and most inconsiderate drivers in BRIDPORT?"""" I think the worst and most inconsiderate drivers in Bridders are the taxi drivers. I realise this may be controversial but they CONSTANTLY park on the bus stop in West Street. They may think this is nor a problem and they are 'just rying to earn a living' but parking in a bus stop means that buses can't let their passegers alight from buses onto a raised kerb. This in turn means that elderly and disabled people have a longer step when they step off the bus which causes accidents. I tentaively suggest that this problem could easily be solved by placing a sniper in the bell tower of the town hall. Any taxi driver offenders could be 'picked off' by our sniper and therefore remove the problem . While he is at it, maybe the sniper could also snipe the tyres of that white van which blocks the view of the traffic lights to motorists every market day. If sniping the tyres didn't work, maybe he could snipe the DRIVER. SniPe eM alL Tht'S whaT i SaY. SniPE em aLL and thEy won'yt do iT agaIN in a hurRy.

#12 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEFooty Seagull 19-08-2006 13:32
A sniper in the bell tower would be a great idea. He could shoot all the sea gulls, pidgeons, rats, dogs (what's the difference between a rat and a dog?), whinos and shitehawks. That should keep him busy. I he/she was paid on commission only they would be able to afford a roller within the month.

#13 RE: RUBBISH CARNIVALdoug the hat 22-08-2006 09:31
Oh yes and the esteemed mayor didnt have a """"predecessor, did he? maybe he might have a successsor!! hehe

#14 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEdoug the hat 22-08-2006 13:27
the hawkins saga is now at an end folks!! thank you to those who may have passed on my messages to him, but most of all thanks to brendan himself for seeing the error of his ways and for removing the boat from the car park this very morning. the abuse he threw at the security camera was most amusing, but job done, thanks, doug the hat

#15 RE: STREETS OF SHAMEfranks 06-07-2012 10:41
If each one sweeps before his own door, the whole street is clean.

Register here. Do keep your comment on topic and do not insult other users.

Security code