Bridport’s Royal Charter

King Henry III granted a Royal Charter to the Borough of Bridport in 1253 which allowed it to hold a market.

This image is taken from the 1953 Royal Charter Pageant celebrating this event; it was drawn by George “Tricky” Biles who is famous for painting numerous local signs especially for pubs and the old “Spirit of Bridport” welcome sign on East Road.

Bridport market still runs twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and a Charter Fair is also held every year.

West Road sign

charter-fair

Spirit of Bridport

Welcome to Bridport sign

 

Share
To comment please apply to join Bridport Radio...

Leave a comment